Grilled Vegetable sandwiches
- 1 large red onion (sliced in 1/2" rounds)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and sliced into 5 pieces)
- 1 zucchini (cut into 1/4" slices lengthwise)
- 1 japanese eggplant (cut into 1/4" slices lengthwise)
- 1 large or 2 small portobello mushroom caps (cut into 1/4" sliced)
- extra vigin olive oil for brushing
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 140g herbed goat cheese (I used PC)
- 2 teaspoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 5 whole grain ciabatta buns (or other good sandwich buns)
Double or triple your batch of grilled vegetables for use in meals later in the week.
||Preheat grill or barbecue to medium heat. |
||Brush both sides of all cut vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. |
||For onions and peppers, grill 3-5 minutes per side until slightly charred and softened. |
For mushrooms, zucchini and eggplant, grill 2-3 minutes per side.
||Transfer all vegetables to a large plate or cookie sheet in one layer. |
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Cover with foil until ready to use.
||For each sandwich, layer 1/5 of the crumbled goat cheese, 1-2 slices of mushroom, zucchini and eggplant, 1 slice of red pepper and 2-3 onion rings. |