Kraft single + Wonder bread + Imperial margarine +Campbell’s tomato soup = pure 80s magic.
Who’s kidding who? It’s also pure 2012 magic.
Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup were a quick and simple go-to meal in my childhood home. Still are, in fact. Though they have a bit more of a grown-up flair nowadays.
Recently I heard about a group of friends getting together for a make-your-own grilled cheese dinner party. What a fab idea (and excellent inspiration for this post)! A ‘gourmet’ grilled cheese night can be perfect solution for a group of friends or a family with varying food preferences. With prep and cooking time rarely exceeding 15 minutes combined it’s hard to think of a simpler crowd pleaser.
Here are some combo ideas. They’re listed as bread + cheese + extras:
- Light or marble rye + extra old or applewood smoked cheddar + sliced granny smith apple
- Italian bread + fresh mozarrella + fresh or roasted tomatoes + fresh basil
- No-knead bread + swiss + mushrooms sauteed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and thyme
- Whole wheat + haloumi + arugula pesto + roasted red peppers
- Sourdough + cambozola (brie-like blue cheese) + caramelized onions + sliced firm pears
- Any or all of these could also be accompanied by a slice or two of some beautifully smoked cured meat such as prosciutto, or dare I say – bacon!
2 year old Canadian cheddar, sun dried tomato and fresh basil on sourdough.
Cambozola, caramelized onions and bosc pear on sourdough. This was INcredible.