Ooowee, I sure do love me some watermelon!
Ok wait…First step in reading this post – read it with southern drawl in mind. It will make more sense. Fine, not really – but it is really fun.
Watermelon truly is one of those foods that’s not worth buying out of season, making the anticipation of that first burst of summer flavour, all the sweeter.
I’ve recently seen a poor attempt at a watermelon salad in the prepared salad area of my grocery store. Please do not buy this. My version is sweet, simple and insanely beautiful to look at. It also doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. So give it a whirl, and make it yourself!
A sweet, savoury and refreshingly delicious use of watermelon.
- 6 cups watermelon (cut in to 1.5 inch cubes)
- 1 Small shallot (sliced into fine rounds)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (about 10 leaves, finely sliced)
- 100g feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons extra vigin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vingar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
||Combine watermelon, shallots, basil and feta cheese, mix gently |
||Drizzle salad with olive oil, balsamic vingar and season with s&p to taste |
There’s no denying it. Watermelons are huge. If you and your loved ones can eat an entire watermelon size worth of watermelon salad, I applaud you. Me? I crave variety; as well as an occasional tipple of rum. Enter, watermelon mojitos…
- 5 cups watermelon (cubed)
- 1 handful mint leaves (about 10-15)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup simple syrup (1 part white sugar, 1 part water - boiled and cooled)
- 1 cup white rum
||combine watermelon, mint leaves and lime juice - blend until smooth |
||strain watermelon mixture with a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher |
||add rum and simple syrup and stir to combine |
||shake with ice or pour over ice to make it extra chilly and refreshing |
Simple syrup – in the making
squeezing limes. yup.
Combine watermelon, mint and lime juice and blend baby blend
extra cold, extra deelish
These mojitos are seriously
dangerous delicious. Light, refreshing and super duper summery.
Definitely worth the effort y’all.