I bring my lunch to work. I’d say about ninety percent of the time. For a few reasons. One, it tastes better than anything I can buy. Two, it’s healthier than anything I can buy (barring the occasional emergency Mr Noodles situation). Three, I’m frugal. Cheap I say.
For the most part I take leftovers from the previous night’s dinner. But sometimes I undershoot and/or the hubby’s got a voracious appetite and I just can’t make it stretch.
Sandwiches are an obvious choice, but we steer clear of deli meats and if I’m not thinking ahead, tuna and egg salad are a bit time consuming for the morning rush. I started buying Amy’s frozen burritos as a lunch backup, and at $3-4 a pop it was a cheaper alternative to buying, and a healthier alternative to fried noodles with a dash of (delicious) MSG. The thing is though, they taste just alright – and that, is just not OK.
So, I started making my own!
I think it’s obvious you can get really creative with these puppies. Some of the other things I’ve done to add more flavour and texture include:
- Cook brown rice using chicken or vegetable stock rather than water.
- Add a few handfuls of your leftover slightly wilted baby spinach or arugula in to the mix
- Switch up the grain – use quinoa or barley
- Grate a carrot and add in for texture and colour
- A few squeezes of fresh lime juice and handful of fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro) will freshen it up a notch
I’d love to hear what you come up with!